Hurricane season has arrived and being prepared is a must! Storms can be a scary situation for our little ones, but there are definitely ways to make prepping for a hurricane fun! When kids create their own prep kits, it can add an element of enjoyment to something very serious and alarming. Here are tips on how to create the perfect box with your child:
- Have your kids decorate their boxes with stickers, markers, glitter, etc., and create a great art project out of it.
- Provide fun items that are going to keep your children occupied and distracted in a situation that may be frightening for them. Cards, travel games, coloring books and glow sticks are some great examples.
- Have fun storing your children’s items in lego inspired boxes from The Container Store. Perfect for markers or can even be used as a first aid kit with fun bandaids, etc.
- Let your child shop with you and pick out the items for their kits. They will be excited to create their box instead of feeling afraid of the hurricane.
- Creating positive and fun memories for children in times of serious situations, such as hurricanes, is very important.
- Start a discussion with your child about their feelings towards hurricanes and other storms. Let them know it is normal to be fearful and creating a kit together is a great way to be prepared.
- Music is the perfect parenting tool for opening up communication with your child. The song “Storm” from my award winning children’s CD, “Music is Magical, Children’s Songs with Ellie”, makes it easy to expose your child to the sounds and clever origins of a storm.
- Creating a hurricane kit is a great way to bond with your child and may even help to ease your own fears.
!!!YOU COULD WIN THIS AMAZING HURRICANE KIT, INCLUDING A $50 GIFT CARD TO THE CONTAINER STORE!!!
(contest ends 6/16/13)
A special thank you to The Container Store for sponsoring this segment and for providing wonderful items for our hurricane kit!
“Storm” (Music is Magical, Children’s Songs with Ellie”